Tuesday 19 December 2017

Alcohol licensing - all you need to know

Many people dream of running their own pub. Whether it is a modern gastro pub or a traditional cosy inn, many people imagine themselves behind the bar and consider themselves an ideal person to be the perfect pub landlord. This dream is not an impossible one but it can be hard, time consuming and a confusing new world to those not used to pub life and what it takes to run a pub.

When looking to run a pub it is vital to learn about alcohol licensing. To help inform prospective pub landlord all about alcohol licensing, Flogas - specialists in gas supply for business - have some key facts about this vital and important piece of legislation.

Alcohol licensing - general rules
In England and Wales any business that wants to sell or supply alcohol must have a licence. Alcohol licensing is authorised by the licensing authority which is usually a local council and is overseen by the Home Office.

This legislation is defined as below -
* Premises licence
Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis such as pubs and restaurants need to apply for a premises licence.
* Personal licence
A personal licence is needed for those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol. Owners of the business are required to have a personal licence alongside the premises licence.

Applying for a licence requires you to pay a fee and complete an application form which is sent to the local council. The application also has to be sent to the police and other responsible authorities such as -
* Local fire and rescue
* The primary care trust or local health board
* Environmental health authority
* Planning authority
* Local trading standards
* Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located

Premises licence
This licence authorises the use of the premises in the application to be involved in the sale of alcohol. When applying for a premises licence you will have to answer a series of questions including -
* General information regarding the premises such as address.
* Details of the applicant.
* Operating schedule and the date you want the licence to start from on.
* Opening hours of the premises.
* Indicate what licensable activities you wish to carry out from a selection and what days times you want the licence to be active. This also includes providing activities of regulated entertainment such as live music and sporting events.
* How you plan on promoting the four key licensing objectives - prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, protection of children from harm and the prevention of public nuisance.
* New licensing laws also require you to stipulate who will be your designated premises supervisor.

Personal licence
The owner of the premises licence is required to apply to be the personal licence holder. All pubs are required to have a premises supervisor that holds a personal  licence.

General staff in a pub are not required to hold a personal licence but anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.

With this key information about alcohol licensing and the knowledge that one of the reasons for licensing is to ensure that those who run and manage pubs do so in a professional manner, the next thing is to find your dream pub and apply for a premises and personal licence.

Good luck in achieving your dream of running your own pub. Hopefully soon you will be pulling pints in your own dream pub - cheers!

* Guest post *

No comments:

Post a Comment